Friday, December 18, 2009

Whitney Dishes on NYC Style, Her Line, & More

After the successful Bryant Park debut of her fashion label Whitney Eve in September, The City star Whitney Port is busy delivering the Spring collection to retailers, but still found time to chat with WWD about the challenges she faces as a young designer. “Obviously, it’s scary,” she said. “I think it’s really hard to break out right now since the fashion industry is struggling. I mean, people don’t want to spend their money on clothes right now–it’s a luxury … I think my biggest competition is myself.” The 24 year-old is quick to distinguish herself from her former MTV castmates: “I put myself in a different sort of realm as them,” referring to Hills star Heidi Montag, whose line, Heidiwood, closed just months after its debut, and Lauren Conrad, who designs for Kohl’s after her high-priced line was also unsuccessful. The ambitious New York transplant, who says her new hometown is “a lot more sophisticated and a lot more forward-thinking” than L.A., is even toying with venturing into accessories: “I would love to but I don’t know how talented I’d be at it,” she said. “But eventually, I think that would be a cool option.”

No comments:

Post a Comment